Aging is inevitable, but the health and lifestyle choices you make can help determine how graceful you will age. Poor choices can cause premature aging and make you look older than you are. And no one likes the sound of that, right?
Luckily there are non-invasive cosmetic procedures like Botox and dermal fillers such as Juvederm which can greatly reduce or eliminate wrinkles and expression lines when they surface. However, if you are investing in these procedures, you should also be doing whatever you can to preserve yourself from the inside-out too.
Here are 6 ways to be proactive when it comes to protecting your skin and youthfulness:
(1) Limit Sun Exposure – Everyone loves the sun, but the harsh reality is that is can be very detrimental to our skin. Increased sun exposure leads to sun spots, wrinkles, sagging, and just an overall more weathered appearance. Most importantly, you are also risking the chance of getting skin cancer if you do not take precautionary measures. Be sure to ALWAYS use a sunscreen that protects against harmful UVA and UVB rays – even on cloudy days, as these can be deceiving. Even if the sun is not beaming down on you, the ultraviolet rays are.
(2) Exercise, Exercise, Exercise – When you are active, your muscles get toned and your blood gets flowing. Working out on a regular basis not only makes you feel healthier – you LOOK healthier too! People will notice you have a glow to you and comment that you look great, because it will show. Plus, just having more energy will make you happier and that will also exude a more youthful appearance.
(3) Stop Smoking – With all of the information we have on the dangers of smoking, it is surprising that so many people still indulge in this terrible habit. Research shows that smoking leads to premature aging, dry skin, and a depletion of Vitamin C. It will also lead to ‘smokers lines’ around the mouth from puffing on the cigarettes.
(4) Limit Alcohol Intake – With alcohol consumption, small blood vessels dilate and blood flow increases near the skin’s surface. In time, these blood vessels can become permanently damaged, which can lead to a flushed appearance and broken vessels on the skin’s surface.
(5) Get Plenty of Sleep – Lack of sleep can make you feel cranky and lethargic, but it can also make you look tired in the form of dark circles and bags under the eyes and sagging skin. Ideally, you want to be getting 8-9 hours of sleep each night…and develop a routine where you go to bed and get up at the same time everyday. Plus, you should definitely limit your caffeine during the day, and eliminate it in the evening.
(6) Reduce Stress – Stress has been referred to as the new biological clock because stress and worry can accelerate aging. With adequate exercise, relaxation, nutrition, and sleep, you can help minimize the impact that stress has on your body. You may also want to seek outside support to better cope with stressful situations when they occur.
The importance of self-care cannot be emphasized enough. Taking good care of your mind, body, and spirit is the most important step of your anti-aging skin care routine.