What are impacted teeth?
Impacted teeth are teeth that aren’t able to erupt (come into your mouth). In other words, they are stuck in the bone of your jaw.
What causes impacted teeth?
– Genetic changes
– Lack of space / overcrowding
– Unusual growths on the soft tissue of your gums
Not everyone has impacted teeth, but for those who do, it is most common for wisdom teeth to be impacted, followed by maxillary canines.
Wisdom teeth have no functional need and can fortunately be removed with virtually no impact, but the canine teeth can pose a greater challenge.
What are some signs that may indicate that you have impacted teeth?
– A gap where the tooth has not come through (erupted)
– Swelling and redness of the gums
– Ongoing headache or jaw ache
– Tenderness or pain around the mouth, jaw, or gums
– Unpleasant taste in the mouth
– Bad breath
What happens if impacted canines are left in the jaw bone?
This can cause problems. The roots of the adjacent teeth can start to disappear, and in extreme cases, the adjacent teeth can be lost as a result of this.
So as you can tell, it is very important to get this addressed.
Dr. Bahi at New England Oral & Cosmetic Facial Surgery is an expert in the extraction of impacted teeth in Surrey. If you are located in the Surrey area, please call us to book a consultation today: 604-507-0514.